Friday 23 September 2011

Friday Hop Trois


Reading Challenges: Did you sign up for any this year?
How has your progression been?

This is the first year I've signed up for a reading challenge, because I don't like to set myself targets. They seem great to me really: I can easily motivate myself, I like long term goals and working towards them, as well as never setting myself unachievable targets. I tend to set them more as a way to maintain what I have already managed. The reason I would rarely set them is that if I missed the target, it would only be by a small amount and I'd really get on my own nerves for having done that.

However, I did sign up to read 50 books this year (via goodreads) and I am on top of it at the moment. In fact, I'm ahead. But I expect to fall behind now I've started school. Ah, well. 'twas good while it lasted.

Q. Do you have a favorite series that you read over and over again? Tell us a bit about it and why you keep on revisiting it.

Yes, yes and yes! Until I started really reading properly (this year) I used to be re-reading all the time. I've read Harry Potter more times than I can count, I read The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness by Michelle Paver at least thrice, His Dark Materials four times and, my most re-read, the Belgariad and the Mallorean. I must have read them into the twenties.

The reason I re-books tends to be because I can't really get over the fact the book finished. The characters, with whom I've enjoyed many hours laughing and crying with, forever call me back. This is first year that I haven't read The Belgariad and Mallorean in a long time, but I want to. I just feel I can't because I always have a new book I could read and I feel I must read. I kind of think I might set aside a month each year for any re-reads I want. I have many books I want to re-read too because I was so in love with them (e.g. To Kill a Mockingbird) while I want to re-read ones I've read and disliked to see if my opinion has changed (e..g Dorian Gray.

Happy Hopping everyone! I hope I was at least bearably interesting.

9 comments:

  1. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the few books I've actually read more than once.

    Trish - My Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower here!

    It's always nice to meet a fellow Harry Potter re-reader. I also love His Dark Materials.

    Here's my Feature & Follow Friday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picks! New follower! Just hopping by.
    My FF:
    http://thesagacityquest.blogspot.com/2011/09/follow-friday-3.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harry Potter is definitely a reread series! Good choice! : )
    New follower here!
    Feel free to follow back @ http://www.booklove101.blogspot.com
    Have a Happy Follow Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I swear everyone has read HP but me. LOL

    New follower! Feel free to check out my blog if you'd like:
    http://theirishbanana.blogspot.com/2011/09/follow-friday-5.html

    ~Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  6. you can get 50 done this year! i believe in you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your answer! I re-read books because I don't want them to be over! Sometimes they are just too good to put down! New follower!

    My FF: Mom Reads My Books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopping through. I still need to read the rest of Phillip Pullman's novels. I've only read the first of TDM series.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes you get to know the characters so well and I'm not ready to let them go so I re-read to I can visit them again.
    With series that has sort of derailed, I go back to read the earlier books to recapture some of the magic.
    I'm not good at challenges. They make me feel pressured to read certain books and if I fail then I feel like...well.....a failure.
    I think next year I'll stick with the generalized ones like Goodreads, reading a certain amount per year rather than genre based.

    ReplyDelete