Monday 16 January 2012

Book Blogger Confessions- 2


This new meme is hosted by Karen at For What It's Worth and Tiger at All Consuming Media

The idea of this is to recount, perhaps even vent in order to ward off violent outbursts, about the nuances of life as a book blogger.

Have you ever had reading/blogging slumps? How do you work through them or work around them?

For me, a reading slump is a blogging slump. Though I don't entirely want to be pigeon-holed as a book blogger, that is the reason I'm blogging here and on this platform. If I want to start personal blogging, I'll have a separate site. This means that if I'm taking a while with a book, my blogging plummets and I just do the hops that are around and other memes.

So concerning reading slumps, I do get them. I find that they're never much more than a week, but I really need the break. Sometimes, I hide the fact I have slumps online by not reading for a week then reading a shorter novel all day on Sunday- that way I convince you that I read it over the week and have merely been absorbed in a book; not lazy! Though I don't think of it like that, I don't believe a lack of blogging is lazy. Some people thing of blogging as a job, others don't, but regardless we always need breaks from things. The people we love, the things we love to do, they can all become too much. The saying "too much of a good thing" is important in remember you must take things slowly and savour them rather than burning up all the happiness you would receive for a few moments of euphoria.

I don't have a real method for working around them- as suggested I just wait for them to pass and don't force any reading on myself. I let myself do what I want when I want to do it and this reasserting of control helps to remind me I don't have to do anything. Sure a review would be nice, but don't worry. I'm in a bit of a slump now, but I don't fret over it. In the back of my head, I'm aware that I've still got a review to write (Legend by Marie Lu) but I keep putting it off because that suggests to everyone I'm back in the game, raring to go. I'm really not. I'll wait until my mood has improved because that way my review will be fairer and I'll be less foul. I find that I tend to work in bursts where I'll read a fair bit and have a regular publication of my reviews and memes, and then I get into my slump when other things in my life start becoming time consuming. And when I say things become time consuming, I mean they become boring and I spend 75% of my time procrastinating.

Thanks for the hop! I haven't said a great deal but it's that whole 'time consuming' life thing. I should have done Greek everyday for the past week. I've done none and this is procrastination in a way- except I'm being somewhat productive. I better get it done...

Happy Reading!

4 comments:

  1. I agree that breaks from blogging and reading do help with writing reviews. Yes I admit it even feels like a job but not :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your attitude about blogging so much (and reading). You are constantly a source of level headedness to me. You snap me back to reality and make me feel like a less horrible blogger :-)
    You also remind me to have FUN with this whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There you go, that's a pretty good solution--wait for the slump to pass and only read/write when it's enjoyable. It's easy to waste a lot of time angsting and procrastinating when we're trying to force ourselves to keep a reading and blogging schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't often fall into a blogging slump, but it usually happens when I'm really stressed at work and am "falling behind" on reading. I'm not reading, so I have nothing to review, and nothing to post, and my blog just sits there, mocking me, saying, "You started doing this for fun and now it's like I'm your second job, MWAHAHAHA!"

    ...just me?

    ReplyDelete